1) When do we need to give an answer about whether we are joining P4E?
October 12th – send an email to Howie Rhee and Jon Fjeld (firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com)
Must meet the minimum requirements
And list it in the Personnel directory
2) I’m having trouble finding teammates.
Here’s an early peek at the DukeGEN Matchmaker Directory, with about 200 people interested in startups at Duke
Remember any student from Duke can join your team, and in fact, we think this is one of the interesting learning aspects of P4E.
3) Are we committing to New Ventures 1 (the first course) or to the whole thing (three courses)?
Think of them as individual courses. You are only committing to the first one, and you’ll determine whether you continue on.
4) I want to do P4E, but not sure I can do it this coming term. Am I missing out?
You can join a team that’s at a later stage, New Ventures 2 (Spring Semester) or New Ventures 3 (Fall Semester). That’s up to you and the team to negotiate whether you join them.
5) One of my core courses conflicts with New Ventures 1 (M/Th 4-6:15pm) in Fall Term 2. What do I do?
I can’t remember us having a problem with this in the past. I believe that the professors have let students switch sections for that course. Talk to your prof and let us know as well.
6) I want to try to start a team, or join one. How do I see the ideas that were pitched?
- List of ideas submitted in the summer – http://www.dukep4e.org/select-an-idea
- Ideas pitched at the P4E Kickoff (July) – http://www.dukep4e.org/kickoff/2011-project-feedback
- Ideas pitched at the P4E Idea Pitch Event (September) – http://www.dukep4e.org/pitch-event/2011-project-feedback
7) Can I do P4E and the Start-Up Challenge?
Yes. P4E and the Start-Up Challenge are different. P4E is for credit. Start-Up Challenge is extracurricular. Also, the Start-Up Challenge has two competitions:
- Fall – Elevator Pitch Competition – one minute to pitch your idea, $5,000 prize
- Spring – Executive Summaries, then Investor Pitches – $50,000 prize
8) What is required in the course?
Here are the syllabi for three P4E courses
- New Ventures 1 http://www.dukep4e.org/fuqua-program-for-entrepreneurs/nv-1-opportunity-evaluation
- New Ventures 2 http://www.dukep4e.org/fuqua-program-for-entrepreneurs/nv-2-strategy-development
- New Ventures 3 http://www.dukep4e.org/fuqua-program-for-entrepreneurs/nv-3-operating-plan
And here’s the course schedule:
9) For students who have an interest in doing P4E but did not take part in the activities earlier this summer, do they need to do anything such as fill out Google Forms or officially apply?
If you’re talking about students playing a supporting role, they would just need to get on a team and commit to enrolling in the course. If you’re talking about a committed/lead role, they would need to be in touch with us and have a good project.
b) Also, do students from other schools go through the same process?
No, they simply need to get the nod from a current team lead to join the team (and have a rational role on the team)
c) Lastly, just to double check, if a student’s involvement can be justified, is there any reason he/she cannot be in P4E? (Essentially is it completely at our discretion and any “no” would be in the form of the entire team not moving forward?).
That’s pretty much true. I think we reserve the right to intervene if we see something that doesn’t make sense to us.
10) I have an undergraduate as well as several students from the Nicholas School who are possibly interested in doing P4E. Since they are not on the quarter system, how does course registration work out for them, particularly the add/drop period?
This is a little tricky, but they would need to add the course before add/drop. What that means is 1) you need to agree they are on your team, 2) your team needs to be given approval into the course. It’s not for everyone, and it’s not easy. However, we are seeing other projects tackle this.
b) Don’t they need to know whether they will be in P4E or not well before the start of classes in October if they are going to sign up for the course?
11) Are teams being chosen before October?
We don’t really choose teams. It’s up to you to meet the minimum requirements and let us know by October 12th.
12) Hypothetically if it is now January and a student who was not part of P4E (did not apply to this point) and did not participate in Oct. – Dec., is interested in joining a team and there is a rational reason to bring that person on temporarily (like the 2 spring quarters), can the student join at that point? Essentially, even if you are playing a supporting role, do you have to be in P4E from the very beginning?
Any student from anywhere in the university can take any course in the sequence as long as they are on a team at that time. There is virtually no limitation on this. So, yes to your first question and no to your second.